Friday, April 30, 2010

Our Story...

So I realized that when I started my blog I never posted anything about Paul and I and how we met and came to be MR. and MRS. HOLGATE! And since I am horrible about writing in a journal I thought I would take some time to document this wonderful story so I will have it later to share with my kids and remember it correctly. So here is how our story goes!
It was October 31st 2003 at Sonic on Val Vista and Southern... I was hanging out with my friend Katie White and we decided to go and hang out with some of our friends... As we arrived at Sonic in the midst of talking with some of our friends I was attacked by two guys in fat suits who started sandwiching me and freak dancing! I thought it was quite weird. The next time I saw Paul was when we were hanging out with a group of people at QT. (that used to be the cool place to hang) Him and his friend Chris were skateboarding around and I asked someone who he was and they told me he was Roberts brother... I was totally confused because Chris and Robert looked way more alike that Paul and Robert... I seriously thought Paul was Chinese! I didn't talk to him that night, but a later night at his house I ran into him again. I decided to talk to him and he was super quiet... He seriously never talked to anyone unless they approached him and started the conversation... I think this must have intrigued me since I am such a chatter box... I would ask him all sorts of questions(a lot of which were "are you sure you aren't Chinese or adopted?" I even once asked his mom because I didn't believe him... To this day even people ask me what his ethnicity is... At our last family reunion my aunts and uncles kept asking me what ethnicity Paul was and I am always curious to hear people guesses so I said lets play a game... You get three chances to guess it... Seriously, not one person guess that he was white!)Any who back to the story... after time Paul offered to drive me home after we were all done hanging out with the group since I didn't have a car... I started to fall for him and thought it would be fun to have us girls ask the guys out on dates so my friend Katie took Chris, I took Paul and Liesl took Robert... This was Paul's first date ever... We blindfolded the guys and drove them over to Katie's Grandmas house where we set up dinner in the backyard... We had pizza for dinner and eclairs for dessert... We had a fun time hanging out and talking.... Liesl and Robert were adventurous and took the paddle boat out... After that date Paul and I started hanging out a lot more... We first held hands in Chris basement while we watched the movie Charlie... We had our first kiss on January 1st 2004 after we spent new years eve together... We dated for 8 months before he left for his mission to Peru in September of 2004... I had just turned 17 and was in my senior year of high school... I waited for him for 7 months and after I graduated I started dating another guy... After dating that guy for 7 months I decided it was not fair to him or the guy I was dating to not dear john him... I didn't know how to do it so I sent Paul a dreadful dear john letter through an e-mail... After Paul got that e-mail he later wrote me a letter asking me to better explain things and to write him back and let him know if it was a joke or not...(he was worried that my little brother had gotten on the comp and written the letter to him) I wrote him back and later found out he never received the letter I sent him due to crappy mail service in Peru... Fast forward a little... When I knew it was soon for Paul to be coming home from his mission I sent him an e-mail giving him my number and letting him know I would love for him to call me once he got home... ( I was dating someone at the time but still considered Paul a good friend) A few days after he got home I got a call from him... I was at my grandparents house and my mom happened to be up in Utah visiting when he called... We talked (or more like I did most the talking) for 2 hours... The next day I got an e-mail from Paul and in it he mentioned that he would like to try dating again...(I guess I forgot to mention that I was dating someone else) I wrote him back and explained that left out detail and he was pretty bummed... We decided that we could still be friends though and would talk all the time on the phone... In October or November I went down to Arizona to visit my family and saw Paul for the first time since he had been home from his mission... I actually broke up with the guy I had been dating that weekend... Paul had expressed to me several times over the phone and through texts that he wanted to date me again but sadly I turned him down... I went down to Arizona again for Thanksgiving and Paul wanted me to explain to him the reasons I didn't want to date him... So I told him which were all very silly reasons... Honestly I think I was just so scared to hurt him again since I know it hurt him pretty bad when I had dear johned him... Any who, in December my roommates fiance who was living down in Arizona too was heading up to Utah to visit her and I thought it would be fun for Paul to come up and visit too! Needless to say I guess that was the trip that I really started falling for him again... I'm sure it made him super happy... We had our second first kiss that visit and I guess you can say that's when we started dating again... I went down to Arizona for Christmas and it was that visit we said I love you... And then we were engaged on January 13Th 2007... It all happened pretty quick but I guess when you know, you know... Paul had been pretty persistent about dating me again and I sure am glad that he was... I guess I have my friend Katie to thank to... I had been talking to her on the phone one time and expressed to her how I was scared to date Paul again because I was afraid of it not working out and hurting him all over again... I remember her telling me that you will never know if it will work out or not if you don't give it a shot and if it doesn't work out at least you knew you tried... That really made me think and kinda made me decide that it was okay to take the risk... I also remember at school we had a special class and we had to write down a list of all of the qualities we would want in a mate and while I was writing them down I realized that everything was explaining Paul to a T... Any who, Kind of a complicated and LONG story and there is so much a I actually left out, but I truly am grateful that our story did turn out with a happy ending amidst the obstacles along the way!

0 comments: