Saturday, May 1, 2010

Morgans Birth

As I said in the previous post I am horrible at journaling and am trying to be better at it... So I decided before I forget all the wonderful facts about morgans birth I better document it before I start to forget the little things.
Morgan was due on May 22nd 2008... Well that lovely day came and passed and still no baby... I was then scheduled to be induced on May 26th... My mom told me that induced labors were much more painful than natural labor and really encouraged me to take some castor oil... We go over to my parents every Sunday for family dinner and when we got there my dear mom said she really wanted to try and get me into natural labor and she broke the Sabbath to go to Walgreens to get some Castor oil... I was sceptacle about taking it especially since it only works if your body is already ready to have the baby... Otherwise you just end up with an angry bum... Well needless to say I gave into drinking it... We mixed it in with jello and surprisingly it really wasnt bad. (I would post the video of me drinking it but it is kind of long so I will spare you all...) I thought it would work pretty fast but by the time we left my parents nothing had happened... Here I am (a lovely picture I know) leaving my parents house the night before I was scheduled to be induced... My belly is HUGE! Once we got home Paul decided he was going to have some friends over to watch Indiana Jones since the new one was coming out soon and they wanted to review the previous ones before seeing the new one... I opted to stay back in our beedroom and get some sleep before my big day in the morning... Around 11 the castor oil started kicking in and man those trips to the bathroom were not fun... After I was all cleaned out, I went and layed down on the bed and amazingly enough the castor oil worked and I was starting into labor... I tried to go to sleep and get some rest... Around 3 in the morning I called my mom to see when I should go into the hospital... All I knew is that I was in a considerable amount of pain and I couldn't tell when the contractions were starting and stoping... I was nervous of going into the hospital and not being far enough along to be admitted and being sent home just to go back in 5 hours to be induced... I decided to tough it out and seriously had to go into a mental meditation and day dream that I was on the beach in hawaii laying in the sun with my feet in the sand to block out the pain... It really seemed to help... I also did a lot of pacing in the bedroom because that really seemed to help with the pain too... About 7 I decided I that I had enough and was ready to go in... Paul got up and we got my things together and headed to the hospital... We got there only about 15 min before the doc had told me to come in... I was scheduled to be induced at 9:00 am but he asked me to be there at 8:30 so he could come and see me before he went to do a c-section to deliver twins... I got admitted and went back to the labor and delivery room... I got all set up and the doctor came in and checked on me... I was dialated to a 4 and 75% effaced... He decided to break my water right then... Let me tell you right after that happened the pain was totally intensified... Here I am in labor trying to fight the pain...


They really hurt!
I waited about an hour to get an epidural, but let me remind you I had been in labor for about 11 hours already... After I got the epidural I was shaking really bad and the nurse said that generally happens later in labor when you are around an 8 and she didnt think I would have progressed that far in an hour... Well I did... She checked me and I was at an 8 so I had progressed from a 4-8 in an hour... she was pretty surprised... The time seemed to go by pretty fast and at about 12:15 is when they started to have me to my practice pushes... I don't remember how long I had been pushing before the doctor came in but I do know that I delivered her at 12:58 pm.
Introducing
Morgan Grace
Born May 26th 2008 at 12:58 pm
Weighing 10 pounds 3 ounces
21 1/2 inches long
After I delivered Morgan there were some complications. Because she was such a big baby she stretched my uterus out so much that it wouldnt contract back on its own and I began to hemmorage... I wasn't paying too much attention to what was going on with me because I was trying to look over at my new baby girl in the warming cart and hear what was going on with her... She had a little bit of fluid in her lungs so they were over working on her while the doctor and other nurses were working on me... I ended up having to get a shot in each leg, a suppository medicine, and three lines hooked up into my IV and an oral medication... It worked pretty good to get the hemmoraging to stop... I also ended up with a 3rd degree tear...After 45 min of being worked on I was able to hold my baby girl. Here is Paul holding Morgan for the first time!

Me getting to hold Morgan for the first time... Dont I just look gorgeous... I felt so bad because after holding her for seriously like 2 min I asked my mom to take her because she was too heavy and I was soo weak...

Grandma Heywood holding Morgan

Grandpa Heywood holding Morgan


Sweet baby girl after she was born!
Getting some sleep after a long day... I was exhausted...




I ended up being in the hospital for 3 days and two nights for observation... I had to get my blood taken a lot to check my blood count and the second day I was there it had gone down so I had to stay another day... We finally got to go home on wednesday and it was nice to sleep in my own bed but I was unable to do very much for about a week after... I was very weak and couldnt really walk and hold Morgan because I was afraid of dropping her... After everything that I went through I sure am glad that we had her and that she is a part of our family... She was definately worth it!

0 comments: